The beginning is like a dream. Nighttime in Addis, where the air smells of
fragrant wood smoke, and earth after rain.
A cab ride blur of images. Young
people walking arm and arm and laughing.
Strange, bright colored shops. Corrugated
tin roofs and concrete. Blind father and
crying daughter. Swirling joy and
sadness.
Somewhere along the way the tempo of the dream starts to shift. When is it?
In the van on the way to the guest house? In the courtyard where walls are painted with
bright fish and an octopus? Or seeing
her for the first time?
Her emotions shift like the tides. At times, she is silly and exuberant. She sticks her tongue out at the camera,
covers her mother’s arms with stickers, then her brother’s, then mine. At other times, she is quiet and disengaged,
focused on coloring page after page with a single green marker. I love her.
I’d be lying if I said I knew exactly when that happened, but I know it
to be true. In some ways, it is her
sadness that draws me first. She is
afraid. Why wouldn’t she be? She doesn’t know us, and her life has had far
too much loss already. And she is so.god.damn.little. I know that I will do anything to help her
feel safe. To let her KNOW she is
loved.
This is not a dream – it is more real than anything I have
experienced before. The images of dreams
are pale and muted when compared to real life.
My camera captured a thousand images of Ethiopia. Markets crowded with people, chickens, goats
and donkeys. Children blowing bubbles
and catching them before they pop. And
the eyes. In the courthouse, I saw the
truth of heartbreaking sorrow in a young mother’s eyes. In Yonas’ eyes I know human kindness,
empathy, and love when he tells her that we need to go, but promise to
return.
Dreams cannot convey the music of real life. Real life is the music of Sinudu singing from
the kitchen, as she prepares another delicious meal. It has the rhythm of a prayer chanted in
unison before a midday snack of buna and bread.
And the cadence of a rolled “r” when the other children say her name. Aberash.
Aberash. Beautiful music that
sends chills down my spine.
Our last visit on this trip is filled with firsts. She pulls us aside so that she can be alone
with us. She apologizes to her brother
with hooked pinkie fingers and a kiss.
She calls her mother ‘Innat’. The
end is a beginning. I love Ethiopia. I am in love with Aberash, my beautiful,
radiant, silly DAUGHTER. My life is not like a dream, it is better. And it will
never be the same.
No comments:
Post a Comment