I hand over my credit card at the cafeteria for the 6th, the 13th, the 20th time without hearing how much I owe. I have to eat, and it all tastes the same anyway. I drink coffee, wanting my second cup before I finish my first. But the tiredness doesn’t go away. Not really. It has become a part of who I am, with an ache behind my eyeballs, and a twitch in my eyelid.
“I’m thirsty,” A says.
“Can I have a drink?” And although
saying yes feels like it would be right, I have to say no. She looks discouraged, but doesn’t fuss. “My throat is dry” she says, rubbing at her
neck. “OK,” I say. “But just a sip.” But she decides not to take it, worried it will
make her face puffier.
The nurse turns over A’s arms, poking at each with her
fingers. “What are you doing?” A asks,
even though she has been through this several times, and definitely knows. “Just looking for a spot,” the nurse replies. A notices a dark bruise in the crook of her
arm, and points to it cautiously. “What
is THAT?” The nurse pats her leg
gently. “We just need to give that spot
a break.”
My Mom tells me she
doesn’t understand why any child suffers.
And the fact that A is suffering with all she has been through in her
seven years? I hear my Mom’s voice waver
and crack. But she has faith. She prays every day, and she knows God will
answer. What do I have? Is it faith, or something else? It doesn’t
matter, because I pray every day too. Lying
in the bed each night, I send my pleading whispers up
while A breathes softly beside me. “What
can I do?” everyone asks. “Pray.” I
say. “Send good thoughts/positive vibes/healing
energy, whatever works for you.” Make
such a clamor that anyone who might be listening has no choice but to hear.
We massage A’s legs and feet, Sue on one side, me on the
other. Her feet look misshapen, and the
skin on her legs is so tight you can see every tiny bump and scar. “My legs look better, right?” she asks. And we lie, rubbing the calves and caressing each
swollen toe. This place of uncertainty feels like a cave to me. And I’m standing on the edge of a pit in this absolute darkness, with no idea of which way to turn. Or every day I roll this huge rock up this huge hill – more positive encouragement, more hugs, more failed attempts to make her food taste good, more goofs to make her laugh, more lies. Whatever works. But every day ends the same. The rock rolls down. The lights go out. And I’m left in the darkness, at the edge of a pit, sending my pleading whispers to God. Or anyone who will listen.
But she is a light. Through it all, she is a light. She tells the doctors and nurses she loves their boots, their nails, their shirts, their style. She forgets their names, but says “Hey BFF, I missed you!” whenever they enter the room. She teases, pretending that when her mother goes off to speak quietly with the doctors, she is going off to kiss them. She calls me knucklehead, old man, and tells the doctors that I fart all the time. And she laughs. Loud laughs and quiet giggles, they are beautiful sounds all the same.
So I roll the rock up the hill, and find the faith that one day she will be healthy and well again and I won’t have too. Because with swollen toes and puffy eyes and a dry throat and a dark bruise on the
inside of her arm this seven year old is a light. Through it all, she is a light. And rolling that rock is all that I can do.
Oh my love. From the depths of my heart I love you, and A and T. And we will all roll the rock together, because that's what family does.That's what you and I have been doing for almost 20 years together. We joke about that time when I went a little crazy and mired in the muck of suicidal depression and if we could survive that, we could survive anything. So on we go. Rolling that rock. 'Til the end of time.
ReplyDelete