"You're really not going to like it," observed Deep Thought. "Tell us!" "Alright," said Deep Thought. "The Answer to the Great Question ..." "Yes ...!" "Of Life, the Universe and Everything ..." said Deep Thought. "Yes ...!" "Is ..." said Deep Thought, and paused. "Yes ...!" "Is ..." "Yes ...!!!...?" "Forty-two," said Deep Thought, with infinite majesty and calm.
Thursday, February 14, 2013
Love Magic
What is LOVE?
The other day, you and I were together.
We weren't doing anything special, just the everyday, ordinary stuff that makes up so much of life.
I looked up, caught a glimpse of you, and in that moment,
I went back….
Back to the place where it all began.
At first, I watched you from a distance, amazed by your light
A light that drew people in with warmth, surrounded them with kindness and joy
It drew me in.
And I fell completely, wholly, undeniably, head-over-heels.
If someone had asked me what love was then, I don’t think I could have told them.
But they would have known it was GOOD.
I couldn't stop smiling.
I felt happier, and more ALIVE, than I ever had before.
On my way back, I think about travels I have taken with you.
Some of these travels took me to far off places I had only dreamed of visiting.
I snorkeled with sea turtles in the blue Costa Rican waves,
Had beignets for my birthday in a city where wrought iron balcony railings are adorned in purple and gold
Enjoyed (another) pint of the black stuff, as Irish girls danced and their mother sang,
And drank in apple flavored tea and smoke in Istanbul, while a dervish whirled
Some of these travels were explorations within myself,
Journeys that were hard and sometimes dark,
And even though I needed to take them alone, I felt your presence, sensed your light
Encouraging me on
And when I came through to the other side, I realized my travels had brought me to a wonderful place I didn't know existed
A place where I owned my flaws, instead of them owning me.
And remembering these travels
I know that each stirred something deep within my soul
An awakened sense of purpose and adventure,
And the knowledge that with every new journey, each new experience
I become something MORE.
On my way back, I think of the places we've lived, all of them different, all of them the same.
Apartments in the city, a house in a town by the sea
Jazz on the stereo, paintings on the walls
The scent of coffee and freshly baked bread
And remembering these places
I know that home is not a building
Home is the places and people, family and friends
That make us feel safe.
Let us know we belong.
On my way back, I think of gifts you have given me.
The thoughtfulness of each imprinted in my mind like the indelible ink of a beautiful tattoo
Antique books with gilded covers, music and art
And the beautiful words of your sweet poet’s heart.
And remembering these gifts, I think of the greatest you have ever given me,
The boy who is quick to laugh, and quick to help a friend
The girl who is all-in in life, all the time,
And I’m struck by a sudden realization…
There is a light within you… the light that first attracted me to you
And my children live their lives under its warming glow
They soak it in, reflect it out
Drawing others in, surrounding them with kindness and joy
Sometimes the everyday stuff of life
Work, bills, driving kids here and there
It seems to fill every second, like laundry piles in every basket and dirty dishes in every sink
Then I stop, and catch a glimpse of you.
I don’t know what love means for everyone
But for me, love is MAGIC.
A promise that no matter where I am, no matter what I am doing
You can bring me there
To a place where I am ready for new adventures, yet safe and comfortable at home
To a place where I am surrounded by gifts
To a place where I can’t stop smiling.
To a place where I feel ALIVE.
For me, this is love.
And I am completely, wholly, undeniably, head-over-heels in love
With you.
For Sue
2/14/2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh my heart. You are it.
ReplyDelete